Bronze Squad: (minimum 10yrs)
This level is for RIPPLES swimmers. Swimmers must attend 4-5 sessions per week with a minimum entry age of 9yrs old. Swimmers MUST attend regular meets and SMSW C’ships and compete regularly at club night. To get into the Bronze Squad, swimmers will need to meet all Swimming Australia JX tier 3 times for their age group. Swimmers must qualify for 5 SMSW Championship swims.
Swimmers must also be competent in completing repetitive sets of:
Swimmers may request to join the squad however trial and entry is based on coach’s discretion. Movement into this squad from lower squad is a progression and swimmers must attend sessions directed. The basis of this squad level is IM and aerobic work.
Swimmers once in the squad will need to attend a minimum 4 sessions per week and have a high level and understanding of:
- Stroke technique in 4 strokes & s’lining
- Drill progressions 4 strokes
- IM swimming
- All turns & IM
- Starts 4 strokes
- Correct finishes
- Pace clock work
- Lane discipline
- Rules of sport
- Club night & low-level competition
- Punctual start times for all sessions
- Stretching exercises
- Training equipment-Fins, board, pull buoy, paddles, drink bottle, skipping rope
- Review on swimmer’s performance will determine their ability to remain in the squad
Silver Squad: (14yrs+)
This squad level is for competitive RIPPLES swimmers that have achieved NSW State Championship level. Swimmers MUST achieve 3 Individual State Qualifying Times in any 3 events. This squad of swimmers must be dedicated and focused on achieving their ultimate goal. Selection in this squad is by invitation only. Attending all training sessions on time & being enthusiastic, having a professional attitude. Swimmers must attend targeted meets. Test sets are introduced and more advanced levels of programs. Swimmers will have formal bi-seasonal consultation with the coach regarding goal setting, cross-training, exercise etc are to be adhered to. 14yrs & Over gym programme is introduced & EP supplied at major swim meets (when possible) for your use.
The following is expected of Silver Squad swimmers:
- Recommended 8-10 Sessions per week
- 10 x 100 Fs on2 with correct turns (Holding PB+10 or under for all)
- 10 x 100 IM on 2 with correct turns (Holding PB+10 or under for all)
- 200IM and 400IM in competition regularly
- Attend all Targeted sessions required each week.
- Knowledge of:
- split work
- Pull/Kick work
- Speed work
- Use pace/ stroke rate/ stroke count/ Heart Rate sets
- Responsible for own equipment
- Positive approach & mature attitude in training sessions must be shown in squad.
- Goal setting
- High level of competence and knowledge from previous squad requirements
- Stretching & body weight exercises – Sit ups/pushups & squats everyday!
- Strength, flexibility, time management, recovery plans
NOTE: Entry into this squad is by invitation of the coaching team and management only. Meeting essential criteria does not guarantee entry into squad.