Children at Ripples
- Written by Kate Bradshaw Ripples NSW (02) 9833 3000 (02) 9833 3311 email@example.com https://www.ripplesnsw.com.au Charles Hackett Drive St Marys NSW 2760 Australia
Keep Watch & Arms Reach Policy
With lack of direct supervision by a parent or carer believed to be a contributing factor in 70% of all drowning deaths at public pools, Royal Life Saving Australia’s Keep Watch program aims to eliminate all drowning deaths and reduce the number of near drowning incidents at these facilities.
Lifeguards are present as a last line of defence to help if something goes wrong, not to supervise children.
0-5 Year Olds
6-10 Year Olds
11-14 Year Olds
There are four key components of water safety;
- Be Prepared: Ensure you have everything you need before getting into the water, such as towels and dry clothes.
- Be Close: Always be within arms' reach of your child.
- All of Your Attention: Focus all of your attention on your child and get into the pool and talk and play with them.
- All of the Time: You should never leave your child alone in the water, nor should they be left in the care of an older child or with the assumption that your responsibility diminishes due to the presence of lifeguards.
Pool Age Guidelines
|Children under 14||
Must be accompanied by a responsible adult 18 years or older.
|Children 15 years
Permitted access without an adult.
Cannot be responsible for other children under the age of 15, including siblings.
Gym Age Guidelines
|Children under 12||Unable to participate in Group Fitness classes or the Gym|
|12 or 13 years||Welcome in Group Fitness Classes* and the Gym for Caridio-only exercise with a participating parent or guardian, or during a supervised gym program prescribed by a Ripples trainer.|
|14 or 15 years||Welcome in Group Fitness Classes* and the Gym unsupervised for Caridio-only exercise, or during a gym program prescribed by a Ripples trainer.|
|16 years or older||Permitted full access to the gym and group fitness, subject to conditions of entry.|
* BodyPump class only available for Children aged 16 years or older.
Children 14 years or older will not be permitted access unattended on school days between 9am to 3pm.
Identification may be requested to show proof of age.